Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please count me in Grant! Thanks!!!
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Originally posted by olly View Post
      I am always interested in great materials ....
      Count me in. Thanks in advance

Comment

• Please count me in

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
          You change the render time not within the shader but with the global subdivs and noise threshold.
          Sorry, it was not explained properly.
          For example, as per my own experience, a good render stainless steel will take very long to render (using blendmaterial).
          Playing with the render setup will boost the render time but the material will not look anymore great.
          So time/quality shader means the one that will render close enough to the original material even with fast render setup.

Comment

• I'm in as well.

Comment

• sent you a PM...Also wanted to add furniture vinyl/leather. Not the nice grainy leather, but the uniform plastic-like stuff on restaurant banquettes.

Edit: Few more. Procedural solid surfaces and also laminates like Pionite, Formica or sim. Stone (clean/sandblasted with mica sparkles.) Procedural tree bark?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	formica-surface-435x235.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	850304Click image for larger version

Name:	laminate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	850305
              Thanks in advance.
              Last edited by voltron7; 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Sent you a PM. A new tyre material like this would be great.

http://www.holmart.com.au/SS595_small.jpg
                David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
                Realtime UK

https://www.artstation.com/artist/weaver

Comment

• Here's a material that always gives me a bit of trouble - always had to finish it off in photoshop and it never looks quite right in animation.
                  It's the suede-like floor. the way it reacts to light as you move around it and look from different angles is pretty unique - the fibers are way too short to justify doing it with a scatter plugin and using a map to rotate & flatten them so I think it needs to be done with ansiotropy & rotation but my efforts never quite nail it.

pretty much every single one of our jobs at the moment has this in, it's like the go-to 'we are high end' material.

Last edited by Neilg; 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• i am interested as well
                    how does your subscription model work for a studio?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                      Would also be interested, but Im mainly interested in any videos/tutorials on how to approach recreating tricky real world mats.
                      Will you also cover things like DMC/Subdivs etc.?
                      Vrays back end will be covered. (Honestly, at the point where you understand what settings are required you stop changing things)

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                      I think what I struggle with most is metals, and multi layered materials especially

Both roughness and anisotropy are parameters i almost never touch so would be interested to learn more about those.
                      Multi layered Metals are the highlight of the library
                      I don't touch roughness either.

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                      Also interested in these. I tend to get a bit carried away with layers in blend materials.
                      Most materials will only need two layers however sometimes in order to create oily or "smudgy" highlights 3 is needed.

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                      Fantastic news! I look forward to these.

I would also like to second many of the comments made by Peter Guthrie. I too struggle with when to/ not to use multi-layered materials, especially with metals.

Also look forward to the Theory of approaching many of these materials.

Cheers!
                      Most of my materials are multilayered (Certainly all of the ones in the library)

Metals, plastics and concretes all exhibit multi lobed behavior.

Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                      Sorry, it was not explained properly.
                      For example, as per my own experience, a good render stainless steel will take very long to render (using blendmaterial).
                      Playing with the render setup will boost the render time but the material will not look anymore great.
                      So time/quality shader means the one that will render close enough to the original material even with fast render setup.
                      I work in the print industry, not animation.
                      There is no excuse not to have clean renders.
                      I am not experienced with flickering but I guarantee you the scene setup and settings are as perfectly optimised as Vray allows. Some of these shaders are highly complex however and there is no way for them to render fast.
                      Its a sacrifice you need to make. The more information you ad, the longer its going to take to solve.

Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                      sent you a PM...Also wanted to add furniture vinyl/leather. Not the nice grainy leather, but the uniform plastic-like stuff on restaurant banquettes.

Edit: Few more. Procedural solid surfaces and also laminates like Pionite, Formica or sim. Stone (clean/sandblasted with mica sparkles.) Procedural tree bark?
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16366[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16367[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks in advance.
                      Will look into this, cheers.

Originally posted by DaveKW View Post
                      Sent you a PM. A new tyre material like this would be great.

http://www.holmart.com.au/SS595_small.jpg
                      Dusty/clean Rubber (Along with all other materials you will need for cars) are included.

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                      Here's a material that always gives me a bit of trouble - always had to finish it off in photoshop and it never looks quite right in animation.
                      It's the suede-like floor. the way it reacts to light as you move around it and look from different angles is pretty unique - the fibers are way too short to justify doing it with a scatter plugin and using a map to rotate & flatten them so I think it needs to be done with ansiotropy & rotation but my efforts never quite nail it.

pretty much every single one of our jobs at the moment has this in, it's like the go-to 'we are high end' material.

Going to need more reference please

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
                      i am interested as well
                      how does your subscription model work for a studio?
                      One purchase per studio is fine.
                      I may offer extended support for studios depending on how well the library sells.
                      admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Rough blue plastic
                        100% Procedural
                        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• You can count me in too Grant.
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

• I am very interesting to purchase materials and count me in Grant

Alex
                            www.visumporec.com

Comment

• I'm interested, what sort of pricing are you looking at.

Thanks
                              Gavin
                              Last edited by Raven; 12-11-2013, 12:36 AM.
                              Gavin Jeoffreys
                              Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

• These look great - please count me in too
                                chris
                                www.arc-media.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X