Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I use your materials on my model and then sell my model on turbosquid?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

• I second the fabric stuff, especially Alcantara as that gets requested a lot for the car interiors.
      Attached Files
      David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
      Realtime UK

https://www.artstation.com/artist/weaver

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphr View Post
        Please don't slap me if this is actually pretty easy but I always had problems recreating a bubblegum/paint shader(without "opacity maps) almost completely translucent on the thin parts and opaque on the thick.

Here two examples of what I mean.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]16373[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]16374[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16375[/ATTACH]
        Try sticking a vray dirt in the opacity map slot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
          What if I use your materials on my model and then sell my model on turbosquid?
          Haha really?
          what if you sold them with peter guthries hdr's?

I'm sure he'd be a little pissed :P
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
            Haha really?

Yes but that's different. As far as I understand your stuff is procedural. So basically it can be recreated with a lot of effort. Peter's stuff is a specific "sky map". The sky will never look like that again

So I don't think you're comparing apples with apples.

I was just asking to be sure. And clearly the answer is no
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

• I think it's a bit different using a purchased HDRI and then selling it as part of a model scene. With regards to materials that would be an issue for me if I couldn't use them on the models I sold. I mean, if I was to use a material and then just change a few values etc would that then still be the same material ? I'd like to know a little bit more info as to where we stand on this.

Update: Maybe we could agree to a credit and link to your site. That would be a way to freely market your materials through the models sold...

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
              Haha really?

Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• How is this any different?

You purchase an HDRI from Peter, and you purchase materials from Grant. Both items were purchased and are NOT distributable.
                Even if I take one of my HDRI maps and color correct it, does that mean I can now sell it as part of my model because I slightly modified it? NOPE!

If you want to sell a model you have create, great. Anything that you purchased to create that model should NOT be included and you can link to the materials used, so that the end user can purchase the shaders used on your model. That way everyone get compensated for the work they have done.
                Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                Midwest Studios

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                  How is this any different?

You purchase an HDRI from Peter, and you purchase materials from Grant. Both items were purchased and are NOT distributable.
                  Even if I take one of my HDRI maps and color correct it, does that mean I can now sell it as part of my model because I slightly modified it? NOPE!

If you want to sell a model you have create, great. Anything that you purchased to create that model should NOT be included and you can link to the materials used, so that the end user can purchase the shaders used on your model. That way everyone get compensated for the work they have done.
                  That's how I saw it from a legal stand point.
                  If you were to sell a stereo on turbosquid, in the description list, explain that the shaders used in the previews can be purchased through me?

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• I'm sorry but I see this as a bit more of a gray area than that. I understand that taking one of the HDRI's I'd purchased and then colour correcting it and selling it with a model would not be possible, but with these materials, if for instance I evaluate how Grant has set up his materials and I use a very similar method to create a material for a particular model. I wouldn't be using his material but I would be using his methods/experience. The same as watching a video tutorial and then using the exact same method.

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                    How is this any different?

Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• Thats not what the original question was though :P

It was, "What if I use YOUR shaders with my models"

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Exactly! Completely different question!

Absolutely if you develop new materials based on things YOU learned from Grant's materials, then I don't see issues. You are creating new materials from scratch instead of just opening up grant's library, assigning materials, upload to turbosquid then profit.
                        Midwest Studios

Comment

• (Uploads Bertrands scenes using Grant's materials lit by Peter's hdris and waits for the profits to roll in)

Comment

• That's true, but I'm trying to differentiate between your materials blatantly being used and tweaks carried out or your methods copied to such a degree that they newly created material is almost exactly the same. I don't know the answer to be honest. I would obviously not apply your mats and then just chuck a model up for sale. I realise how much work is involved to produce these
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                              (Uploads Bertrands scenes using Grant's materials lit by Peter's hdris and waits for the profits to roll in)
                              Quote of the year!
                              Midwest Studios

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                                Quote of the year!
                                Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                                You are creating new materials from scratch instead of just opening up grant's library, assigning materials, upload to turbosquid then profit.
                                Talent borrows, genius steals

Comment

Working...
                                X