Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the info update grant.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• Sorry for the delays, family first!
      I've been building my brothers website but the good news is, I may have a selling platform for the library.

I will be back on this tomorrow with a couple of new materials to show.
      admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
      Mastering CGI
      CGSociety Folio
      CREAM Studios
      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Cool, looking forward to them. Thanks for updating...

Comment

• We never doubted you!

It a great way to build up the excitement / anticipation!
          Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
          Midwest Studios

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
            We never doubted you!

It a great way to build up the excitement / anticipation!
            I just don't feel great about taking money before I'm happy with them but with that being said, you will still get every single material I release over time, of course I can manually supply WIP's to people but I'm trying to avoid that cluster fuck.
            How do you all feel about pre purchasing a week before being sent the materials?
            By releasing the materials as I create/finish them at least this curbs piracy somewhat as they will always be trailing with no set package to be released.

----------------------
            Mastering CGI
            CGSociety Folio
            CREAM Studios
            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• I'm down.

Heck, I'd even pre-purchase and only get your video breakdowns and have some materials roll out over the following week or two.
              Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
              Midwest Studios

Comment

• Part 1 of the army series.

Now usually I only use Bercon OR textures (rarely together) as it simplifies the shader networks but occasionally you can use bercon to enhance textures you already have.
                An example of this is using bercon's distortion to seamlessly tile textures, a trick I've only recently begun to exploit with promising results.

Also notice the correct usage of glossy maps in the pitted areas giving the metal a solid and worn out feel.
                I've used a texture to blend in a dust shader with a vray dirt map.

Last edited by grantwarwick; 22-11-2013, 12:45 PM.

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Next up, I will show an early wip of Pixars skin material which behaves a little less predictably at the moment, but when under "correct" lighting simulates the soft, rubbery feel they have conveyed for years.

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Looking great
                    Cheers,
                    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• I've had over 70 pre order requests now, this shit is getting a bit out of control and I really didn't expect it. (Figured I'd sell max 50 to you hardcore vray guys) so sorry if I haven't responded to your PM's, I have read all of them and anyone who has asked to make it should be fine for the first 50.
                      I'm going to start taking orders tomorrow, please email me at admin@sathe.com.au, I will provide you with information on how to purchase.

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• First WIP, unfortunately I already created this bastard a couple of years ago EXACTLY but lost everything in a hard drive failure.
                        the values have to be tweaked very tightly or the translucency throws out wrong colors.

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• This one look like photo taken with a flash. Did you use the same lighting on all material or not?
                          Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                          Part 1 of the army series.

Now usually I only use Bercon OR textures (rarely together) as it simplifies the shader networks but occasionally you can use bercon to enhance textures you already have.
                          An example of this is using bercon's distortion to seamlessly tile textures, a trick I've only recently begun to exploit with promising results.

Also notice the correct usage of glossy maps in the pitted areas giving the metal a solid and worn out feel.
                          I've used a texture to blend in a dust shader with a vray dirt map.

Comment

• The reasoning behind different materials having different lighting is because I test them with a range of different HDR's.

In this case, a clear blue sky with the sun behind camera.

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Hi Grant,

I'm not sure if you responded previously. My question was whether this first pre-sale round of materials will be available as a .vrmat format. Thanks,
                              Andy

Comment

• Hey Andy, I did in fact answer your question haha!

At first, no, but I do 100% plan on converting them to this format however I currently am having a few issues with the system. For one you can't convert them to your Apps native Vray shader (or can you ?)which is problematic because the whole idea of these materials is to give you a well refined and detailed base to build and learn upon.
                                Until I figure out the best approach to solve this, the materials will be in 3dsmax 2012 format.

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X