Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else getting noise in Grant's base file, using his production settings?

I plugged in the Tokyo HDRi image with multiplier of 2.
    Relinked all bitmaps.

Hit render. Lots of noise on the inner white surface of the model.

Is it just a matter of rotating the HDRi map so that the front of the model gets more lighting information?
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
      Is anyone else getting noise in Grant's base file, using his production settings?

I plugged in the Tokyo HDRi image with multiplier of 2.
      Relinked all bitmaps.

Hit render. Lots of noise on the inner white surface of the model.

Is it just a matter of rotating the HDRi map so that the front of the model gets more lighting information?
      Changing the adaptive amount from 1.0 to .85 seemed to help me...
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

• Yes. All my lights are 256. Mind you, this is the ultimate brute force, which means I changed everything across the board and I am trying to push it through.
        Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
        light samples also need to be higher, 128 - 256
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Also, Grant's scene is rendering at a really low resolution and I am assuming his settings are specific to his scene. When you are schooling us Grant, can you talk about resolution dependent settings?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• today, i gave a try on a outside-scene. hdri only, winter/evening setup with around 100 IES-lights inside the aluminium-trussing construction.

i was surprised, because i could make a perfect preview in 3840x2160 within 16 minutes. i only needed to activate Lanzcos-Filter to get the details on small wires.

i will take a look closer during next few days how that will be with a couple of Grants materials and then i can give more information to grain and speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              Well, I dropped my model (an interior space) into Grant's scene, increased all my materials across the board to 256 subdivisions, and I hit render. I know, that's not the point, but I am going to see what happens. I was getting clean renders using IRR/LC and subdivisions of 8+. My render times were around 5hrs, which are typical for me. So far, using Grant's settings, it has been rendering for 1:38 and has 11:37 to go. It is looking a little grainy when I zoom in.
              Hey man,
              I'll be brutally honest...

You're kinda just throwing random settings around and thats not whats going to get results. I promise to have the video out before the weekend is over so just a little more patience!
              admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• That's exactly what I am doing; I just want to see what happens.
                Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                Hey man,

You're kinda just throwing random settings around and thats not whats going to get results. I promise to have the video out before the weekend is over so just a little more patience!
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• You need to do comparison tests on small localized scenes to fully understand it.

Minimize the variables before anything else.
                  admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                    Hey man,

We all know from the beginning that it was not going to be so straight away, no magic, not yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                      Changing the adaptive amount from 1.0 to .85 seemed to help me...
                      I'm speculating but perhaps the idea is that it's not meant to reach the max amount for secondary samples. So it's fully adaptive and will sample as much as required until samples are within the noise threshold?

I'm still interested to learn more about how you may reduce render times, for me, and the type of work that I do a sample object needs to render faster but I've been winging it in Vray since I switched from mr about 6 months ago. Time to learn!

edit - quoted wrong bit originally
                      Last edited by DPS; 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM.
                      Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
                      Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

• Well, I got to look at release2 Friday, and I've "learned" some already. I took a current project and basically implemented Grant's setup. After some tests with sample rate elements, I got the scene to render a lot more quickly. It was taking about 2.5 hours for this particular image and after it is taking not more than 30-40 minutes with better quality ,too. Can't wait to see the tutorials and get some more free time to investigate further. Sorry, but no examples to post, quite yet.

edit: in case it matters it is an exterior arch-viz with dome+HDR and BF/LC...

Comment

• Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                          edit: in case it matters it is an exterior arch-viz with dome+HDR and BF/LC...
                          good, but exterior render are the easiest scene setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                            good, but exterior render are the easiest scene setup.
                            Yep, agreed and good point (my main point is that the decreased render times are sweet!) I am looking forward to the videos and to try this on an interior, too...

Comment

• it will be interesting to apply the settings to the scene with very white interior a a lot of glass.
                              Is there any script guys to use to apply certain subdivs to all the materials at once???
                              Martin
                              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• the VMC script does that for you - http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...terial-control
                                Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                                it will be interesting to apply the settings to the scene with very white interior a a lot of glass.
                                Is there any script guys to use to apply certain subdivs to all the materials at once???
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X