No announcement yet.

Cheatsheet: How to get a Cleaner image with SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see we are playing with the noise threshold, again. What happened to using the MSR spinner to clean up noise? Are you suggesting we let V-Ray handle the material and light subdivisions? I say this because, I am getting a lot of red when I let V-Ray handle subdivisions. Running tests on small shapes don't usually translate to complex scenes, so I tend to fall back on V-Ray old-school. Currently, I have a kitchen that, if I follow this tread, it'll take 115 minutes to complete.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Okay, I read through the whole thread and it's the color threshold your are referring too and not the noise threshold. After resetting my V-Ray to its new defaults for adaptive, I get 1/24 and not 1/100. Which should it be?
      Last edited by glorybound; 20-12-2015, 08:27 PM.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

This is an embarrasingly stupid question, but how do I reset Vray? By loading the default presets? I've saved my own adjustments over those.

Comment

I thought the same... this is getting more and more confusing!

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          Okay, I read through the whole thread and it's the color threshold your are referring too and not the noise threshold. After resetting my V-Ray to its new defaults for adaptive, I get 1/24 and not 1/100. Which should it be?

Comment

set the "RENDERE' to another render such as "Scanline" and then set it back to Vray
            Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
            This is an embarrasingly stupid question, but how do I reset Vray? By loading the default presets? I've saved my own adjustments over those.

Comment

Originally posted by short cirkuit View Post
              I thought the same... this is getting more and more confusing!
              It's actually simpler.. Lele's cheatsheet sumed it up pretty good. Just reset Vray and give it a go. The scene I was testing today ended up with a sweet spot of 1/48 and noise threshold of 0.006 for as good of result of an optimized 3.2 scene.

I did take me about an entire day to get used to the system, it wasn't faster in the end but a hell of alot simpler not having to do the whole balancing act with subdivs that was so time consuming before.

I'm happy and sticking with the new auto algorithm for now on.
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
              Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Hey Lele! How are you these days?

Would this be a good workflow? (after resetting to default values on old scenes)
                - Set the max subdivs first to a high number (like 100).
                - Lower the color threshold until you're happy with the noise value.
                - Lower the max subdivs so that you're just touching on red values in the VRaySampleRate render elem (to reign in the number of samples and have optimal speed vs noise)?

The way I see it, that way you first set your acceptable noise level with the color threshold, and after that you constrain the number of samples VRay gets to play with with the max subdivs, so it's well balanced.
                If the max subdivs are too low your color threshold gets clamped, meaning that for example if your max subdivs are very low like 5 and the sample rate element is mostly red lowering the color threshold will have no effect in the red areas. Is this correct?

So an easy workflow would be; set subdivs to high, lower threshold, lower subdivs.
                Rens Heeren
                Generalist
                WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Also, would I be correct in assuming that red object edges in the SampleRate elem can be pretty much ignored and that you should focus on not getting any red on the surface of the objects, that is, anything that is not an object edge?
                  Rens Heeren
                  Generalist
                  WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                    Also, would I be correct in assuming that red object edges in the SampleRate elem can be pretty much ignored and that you should focus on not getting any red on the surface of the objects, that is, anything that is not an object edge?
                    Yes.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
                      Hey Lele! How are you these days?

Would this be a good workflow? (after resetting to default values on old scenes)
                      - Set the max subdivs first to a high number (like 100).
                      - Lower the color threshold until you're happy with the noise value.
                      - Lower the max subdivs so that you're just touching on red values in the VRaySampleRate render elem (to reign in the number of samples and have optimal speed vs noise)?

The way I see it, that way you first set your acceptable noise level with the color threshold, and after that you constrain the number of samples VRay gets to play with with the max subdivs, so it's well balanced.
                      If the max subdivs are too low your color threshold gets clamped, meaning that for example if your max subdivs are very low like 5 and the sample rate element is mostly red lowering the color threshold will have no effect in the red areas. Is this correct?

So an easy workflow would be; set subdivs to high, lower threshold, lower subdivs.
                      Rens!
                      I thought you were in Van, you went even further!

Yes, and yes (and yes, but Vlado already replied to that).
                      The way you go about it also makes sure you do not risk having some stray area go on and sample to the (very big) 100 max subdivs.
                      While this risk is greatly diminished with the new sampler, even without resorting to old-style color mapping trickery (aye, Rens, no more 2Stops up renders ), one could come up with such a difficult situation (if one tried, these days, quite hard.), and limiting the max subdivs would help with runaway sampling areas in frames.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                        It's actually simpler.. Lele's cheatsheet sumed it up pretty good. Just reset Vray and give it a go. The scene I was testing today ended up with a sweet spot of 1/48 and noise threshold of 0.006 for as good of result of an optimized 3.2 scene.

I did take me about an entire day to get used to the system, it wasn't faster in the end but a hell of alot simpler not having to do the whole balancing act with subdivs that was so time consuming before.

I'm happy and sticking with the new auto algorithm for now on.
                        Since you managed successfully the first approach, would you be so kind as to mention if you can see any noticeable differences in you new render, compared to the old?
                        I do not want to prime your brain, so i won't tell you what to look for.
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ok now make a tutorial on how to make it as fast as possible with tolerable noise
                          Maxscript made easy....
                          davewortley.wordpress.com
                          Follow me here:
                          facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

That depends on your definition of "tolerable"

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                              Ok now make a tutorial on how to make it as fast as possible with tolerable noise
                              I was thinking the same thing!

And fully expected the reply we got from Vlado!!

Comment

Ahahahah, i saw the mail for Dave's reply and was giggling instantly at "tolerable" XD
                                Lele
                                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X