Cheatsheet: How to get a Cleaner image with SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fco3d View Post
    Thanks, I can't wait to try out this latest update. BTW Bobby, you latest work show a great improvement, they look really good. congrats!
    thanks. A lot of help from this forum

Bobby Parker www.bobby-parker.com
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      I got some awful GI splotches, in the shadow area, with IM+LC, however, it was fast Using BF+LC does a much better job, but is slower.
      BF+LC is fast!...I got about 22min for the same render...cranking up the LC subdivs does help with the GI splotches, default is 1000 I think, too low for interiors.
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
      Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I didn't think about LC for splotches. I tried IRR High 100/50, but I was still getting small splotches in details, so I went back to BF. I usually set me LC to half my rendering width output, so a 1920 would have a LC of 960. Once my render is done, I'll try to up the LC and see what happens.

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
        BF+LC is fast!...I got about 22min for the same render...cranking up the LC subdivs does help with the GI splotches, default is 1000 I think, too low for interiors.
        Last edited by glorybound; 22-12-2015, 06:04 PM.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I didn't think about LC for splotches. I tried IRR High 100/50, but I was still getting small splotches in details, so I went back to BF. I usually set me LC to half my rendering with output, so a 1920 would have a LC of 960. Once my render is done, I'll try to up the LC and see what happens.
          I was getting small dark splotches on the details of ceiling tracks, it cleaned up nicely when I cranked up the LC subdivs to about 1800. this was when I was messing with RT GPU though.
          Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I didn't think about LC for splotches. I tried IRR High 100/50, but I was still getting small splotches in details, so I went back to BF. I usually set me LC to half my rendering with output, so a 1920 would have a LC of 960. Once my render is done, I'll try to up the LC and see what happens.
            thats quite a low LC setting. im not sure if "half your resolution" is a good rule of thumb for LC... where did that come from? for a 1280x720 image youd only have a LC of 640! way too low. id keep it at 1000 minimum and go up from there if you have problems. make sure "retrace" is on, and "leak detection" although they are enabled by default. i often crank it up to 2000 just because its cheap rendertime wise, and i want a solid basis for the further gi calcs. plus id imagine the better the lightcache, the less work the "retrace" setting has to deal with. which will be slower to render than a decent lightcache.

only times ive needed higher than 2000 was for flythrough mode, or oddly difficult scenes, where 3000+ isnt unusual.

its not resolution dependent, so changing it based on your render res isnt the best idea.
            Last edited by super gnu; 22-12-2015, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I am not sure where I got that rule, but I guess it wasn't from a reliable source
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I am not sure where I got that rule, but I guess it wasn't from a reliable source

Yes thanks Lele, you got me onto the LC (width X height) square rooted idea.

(hopefully you see the humor in that)

That being said, I actually got good results with that in the past for stills. For animation I had to go a bit heigher
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                  Yes thanks Lele, you got me onto the LC (width X height) square rooted idea.

(hopefully you see the humor in that)

That being said, I actually got good results with that in the past for stills. For animation I had to go a bit heigher
                  Ahahah, yes, guilty as charged.
                  But that was before Vlado introduced the "adaptive" LC in sp2, remember? (That'd be the leak prevention)
                  These days, i don't touch the LC subdivs from 1000 anymore: V-Ray will shoot accordingly more LC rays as it goes along, if it finds the scene needs them.
                  Check your numbers in the log with a scene with and without a potted plant or foliage, or with leak prevention at 0.0 -off- and at the default of 0.8.
                  You'll see they aren't exactly 1million for 1000 subdivs, if the scene has fine detail and leak prevention is active as per the defaults.

The only case where i could see a higher number of subdivs would be needed is if you had a complex, "free-for-all" animation.
                  By that i mean, deforming geometry, variable lighting, and moving camera.
                  Then, an LC per frame may need more subdivs to stabilise itself across frames.
                  Which is precisely what the tooltip says.
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ah yes that rings a bell. Thanks for the reminder Lele.

I read somewhere recently that for busy animation, a LC of 3000 should be good, and push up the retrace to something like 8.0 (from the default of 1000 and 2)
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                      I read somewhere recently that for busy animation, a LC of 3000 should be good, and push up the retrace to something like 8.0 (from the default of 1000 and 2)
                      I'm the happiest tooltip writer in the world, right about now. <3
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        Ahahah, yes, guilty as charged.
                        But that was before Vlado introduced the "adaptive" LC in sp2, remember? (That'd be the leak prevention)
                        These days, i don't touch the LC subdivs from 1000 anymore: V-Ray will shoot accordingly more LC rays as it goes along, if it finds the scene needs them.
                        Check your numbers in the log with a scene with and without a potted plant or foliage, or with leak prevention at 0.0 -off- and at the default of 0.8.
                        You'll see they aren't exactly 1million for 1000 subdivs, if the scene has fine detail and leak prevention is active as per the defaults.

The only case where i could see a higher number of subdivs would be needed is if you had a complex, "free-for-all" animation.
                        By that i mean, deforming geometry, variable lighting, and moving camera.
                        Then, an LC per frame may need more subdivs to stabilise itself across frames.
                        Which is precisely what the tooltip says.
                        I'm guessing leak prevention is not supported in RT GPU? this is were I noticed I needed to up the subdivs from the default 1000.
                        Thomas A. Edison

Comment

i believe leak prevention is done during lightcache calculation, which is done on the cpu before the gpu gets involved. so it should be the same. i find even with the leak prevention active, you still need to increase the lc subdivs a bit in some cases, although the defaults work fine a lot of the time. in the end its quite simple. if the lc looks crap, turn it up.

Comment

Why did you chose to turn Max ray intens off
                            Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                            Tested on Evermotion scene Archinteriors vol. 40 scene 008.

Defaults, Adaptive, IM+LC, Max Ray intensity off Reinhard burn value 0.2
                            Adaptive Image sampler: 1/48
                            Color threshold 0.008

Render time: 9:30min

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27603[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27604[/ATTACH]
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hello,

I've followed Lele's cheatsheet to test SP3 on a pretty tricky scene (well, tricky for me to render as clean as possible and as fast as possible). Globally, I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but I fail somewhere. A few reflections areas remain red in Sample Rate RE, and buckets freeze a pretty long time on this area, thus making rendering time to explode.
                              My settings: Adaptive AA min 1 max 100, Color Thr 0.005, Noise Thr 0.003, MSR 10, Max Ray Int 20
                              If I follow Lele's cheatsheet, I should raise max AA again, but that seems weird to me ...

I don't really know what setting to play with now ... any clue would be great

Thanks in advance,

Regards.
                              Nicolas Caplat
                              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I think you are supposed to leave these alone (Noise Thr 0.003, MSR 10, Max Ray Int 20)

Originally posted by NicoC View Post
                                Hello,

I've followed Lele's cheatsheet to test SP3 on a pretty tricky scene (well, tricky for me to render as clean as possible and as fast as possible). Globally, I'm pretty satisfied with the results, but I fail somewhere. A few reflections areas remain red in Sample Rate RE, and buckets freeze a pretty long time on this area, thus making rendering time to explode.
                                My settings: Adaptive AA min 1 max 100, Color Thr 0.005, Noise Thr 0.003, MSR 10, Max Ray Int 20
                                If I follow Lele's cheatsheet, I should raise max AA again, but that seems weird to me ...

I don't really know what setting to play with now ... any clue would be great

Thanks in advance,

Regards.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment