Cheatsheet: How to get a Cleaner image with SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    I have converted it awhile ago, so there is no going back.
    Well, you could re-install 3.2 and do it that way if you have to. For everyone else, it might be a good idea to back up a copy of your project's last 3.2 session before converting to 3.3, just in case you do need to go back.

I have reset the renderer several times, so that should be good. Also, I have merged everything into a clean MAX session, but it didn't make a difference.
    And did you change to the Adaptive sampler, with Min subdivs=1, Max subdivs=24 and Color threshold=0.01?

If this doesn't fix it, perhaps Vlado or Lele could jump in here and take a look at your file and see what is going on.

-Alan

Comment

I have converted it awhile ago, so there is no going back. I have reset the renderer several times, so that should be good. Also, I have merged everything into a clean MAX session, but it didn't make a difference.
      Do you use skylight portals by chance? If you're using HDRI, they eat up a LOT of time and aren't needed.
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
      2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
      128GB RAM

Comment

Yes, an HDRI with light portals is my setup.
        Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
        Do you use skylight portals by chance? If you're using HDRI, they eat up a LOT of time and aren't needed.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
          Well, you could re-install 3.2 and do it that way if you have to. For everyone else, it might be a good idea to back up a copy of your project's last 3.2 session before converting to 3.3, just in case you do need to go back.

And did you change to the Adaptive sampler, with Min subdivs=1, Max subdivs=24 and Color threshold=0.01?

If this doesn't fix it, perhaps Vlado or Lele could jump in here and take a look at your file and see what is going on.

-Alan
          I tried almost everything. The defaults you mention and every other setup you can think of. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to get it to work. Last night, about midnight, I reset everything and hit render (Adaptive sampler, with Min subdivs=1, Max subdivs=24 and Color threshold=0.01). This morning, I woke up to about 1/3 of it done.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I tried almost everything. The defaults you mention and every other setup you can think of. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to get it to work. Last night, about midnight, I reset everything and hit render (Adaptive sampler, with Min subdivs=1, Max subdivs=24 and Color threshold=0.01). This morning, I woke up to about 1/3 of it done.
            Why Max subdivs=24? Have you tried going higher? What happens? From what Lele had said, you can go way up on that to speed things up. For my particular scene, I'm playing around with max subdives=100 and Color threshold=.01 with very little noise and no red in the image sampler. I'm sure I could come down on max subdivs, and probably will, but it sure isn't like the old days where it's set at 12 or 14. I would also turn off your portals and see if that helps. Everything I've been reading says that they're really not needed with using HDRI. From what I'm seeing, that seems to be true because of the Render mult: (HDRI intensity) and Inverse gamma: (contrast) adjustments of the HDRI.
            David Anderson
            www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
            Windows 10 Pro
            3ds Max 2023.3 Update
            V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
            Puget Systems
            TRX40 EATX
            128GB RAM

Comment

I started with MAX Subdivs at 100 and Noise Threshold at .01. I went lower on the Noise Threshold until I didn't have noise and down on MAX Subdivs until I got I was mostly blue with green/red on details. I think 48 and .003 was where I ended up. I'll try turning off the portals and I'll report back.

Why Max subdivs=24? Have you tried going higher? What happens? From what Lele had said, you can go way up on that to speed things up. For my particular scene, I'm playing around with max subdives=100 and Color threshold=.01 with very little noise and no red in the image sampler. I'm sure I could come down on max subdivs, and probably will, but it sure isn't like the old days where it's set at 12 or 14. I would also turn off your portals and see if that helps. Everything I've been reading says that they're really not needed with using HDRI. From what I'm seeing, that seems to be true because of the Render mult: (HDRI intensity) and Inverse gamma: (contrast) adjustments of the HDRI.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I cranked up my HDRI slightly with a Render mult: 2 and .75 on Inverse gamma. Of course it will be different for you, but yes, I think you'll find the portals will save time on that.
                David Anderson
                www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                Windows 10 Pro
                3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
                Puget Systems
                TRX40 EATX
                128GB RAM

Comment

Each HDRI is different, but with this one, I have it at 1 and my inverse gamma at .9

I cranked up my HDRI slightly with a Render mult: 2 and .75 on Inverse gamma. Of course it will be different for you, but yes, I think you'll find the portals will save time on that.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Well, at this point I would ask that Vlado or Lele took a look at your file...it seems that they worked very hard on the new sampler and that they wanted it to help, not hinder.

I'll do more testing here, as well...

-Alan

Comment

I deleted all my portals and things see to be speeding up. I have always used light portals with my hdri's; who would have guessed it would cause so much headache. Now more than ever, but I was probably always rendering slower than I should have been. Thanks for the tip!
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I've also discovered that if I delete all of the glass in my windows except for what's visible on camera, that speeds things up too. You may already know that though.
                        David Anderson
                        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                        Windows 10 Pro
                        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
                        Puget Systems
                        TRX40 EATX
                        128GB RAM

Comment

I've also discovered that if I delete all of the glass in my windows except for what's visible on camera, that speeds things up too. You may already know that though.
                          this one is good, but I'll keep that in mind for others. Again, thanks.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post

-Alan
                            Alan, I find these settings to leave quite a bit of noise. I had to bring down the Color Threshold to 0.003 and because VRay directs the sampling around, some areas ended up nice and some with quite some noise. Any other settings you change around?

Comment

Originally posted by padre.ayuso View Post
                              Alan, I find these settings to leave quite a bit of noise. I had to bring down the Color Threshold to 0.003 and because VRay directs the sampling around, some areas ended up nice and some with quite some noise. Any other settings you change around?
                              Was the noise in the red or blue? The first post in this thread tells you what to do.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If the SampleRate shows blue in the noisy areas, lower noise threshold
                                If the SampleRate shows red in the noisy areas, raise max AA subdivs
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X