Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump mapping makes objects look faceted

Hi,

I recently had to re render an old shot that we had previously done with vray 3.2 (now we are on 3.30.04), and although nothing had changed in the scene, I noticed one of the characters now looks faceted.

vray 3.2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vray3.2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	883586

vray 3.30.04

Name:	vray3.30.04.JPG
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	883587

After having a look at the object, I've found out it has to do with the material we are using for the bump. It only happens with this map, and only when bump values are high. The only solution I have found is setting the Turbosmooth value much higher than we'd usually need (4 or 5 instead of 2), so that there's enough geometry to remove the faceted effect.

I attach a simple scene with the map on a sphere, so you can see the problem. It seems to be gone as soon as I lower the bump values, but this wasn't an issue before. Maybe you can throw some light on this issue.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Actually now that you mention it, I had the excact same problem few days ago. I had a sofa fabric with high bump. I didn't notice anything in low quality tests, but at highres the sofa seemed faceted (and I know the model is fine). So it looks like same thing
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Looks like a bug, we'll report it into our bug-tracking system and will let you know when it is fixed.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

It happened the same to me with Corona.
        I added a smooth modifier, Autosmooth checked, and that helped a little.
        Also I reduced the amount of bump. Weird though.
        Guido.

Comment

@Svetlozar - Any news?

I've seen 2 or 3 scenarios this week where we've got unusual facetting and this could be the reason....

Just even a sphere primitive with a bump map seemed to have this problem.
          Maxscript made easy....
          davewortley.wordpress.com
          Follow me here:
          facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Same problem here. The cushions at the backrest show strong facets. While the bag in the foreground left corner is displaced and shows no artifacts.Click image for larger version

Name:	bump_facets.jpg
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	859845

Comment

Any news on this? It is really annoying especially on cloth like materials. I haven't had the time to roll up to 3.30.04 but there is nothing in the changelog about it so i guess not.

Name:	color.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	859989

Name:	raw_lighting.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	859990

Comment

We are sorry to inform you but the issue is not fixed yet, as a workaround you may reduce the bump strength this will resolve the issue or use the version 3.30.03 which works fine.
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Any news on this Svetlozar?
                  I'm on 3.30.04 and can't go down to 03 and also can't reduce the bump amount.
                  If I either set the bitmap's blur to 0.1 (no matter bump value) or increase bump to 300, the bug shows up. I have a texture which needs a strong bump and displacement is not an option
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

try adding a turbosmooth on it, with a rather high number of subdivs. That will create so much geometry that the faces won't be visible but it will of course be heavier to render.

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                      Any news on this Svetlozar?
                      I have not had a chance to look into this yet. You can use the environment variable VRAY_OLD_BUMP_REFL=1 to revert to the old behavior.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Looks like this goes deeper than just the bump.

You can also reproduce this WITHOUT bump.

Make a new material with black diffuse (0,0,0). Make the reflection white (255,255,255). Set RGlossiness 0.5 and untick Fresnel. Facet deluxe even in material preview (3.30.04)
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

No, that's a different issue and has always been like that.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                            Looks like this goes deeper than just the bump.

You can also reproduce this WITHOUT bump.

Make a new material with black diffuse (0,0,0). Make the reflection white (255,255,255). Set RGlossiness 0.5 and untick Fresnel. Facet deluxe even in material preview (3.30.04)
                            Even with Fresnel ticked it's noticeable. But it's also only with Blinn & Ward, not with Phongh and GGX.
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              I have not had a chance to look into this yet. You can use the environment variable VRAY_OLD_BUMP_REFL=1 to revert to the old behavior.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Were do you set the environment variable?
                              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                              Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X