Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

workstation unusable while rendering - was much better in the past.

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workstation unusable while rendering - was much better in the past.

Hi, very odd, in the past my 3990x workstation was actually quite usable while cpu rendering... even without setting the priority of the process to "low" i was able to work in another instance of max.. modelling etc.. sometimes even test rendering.

now, im currently rendering, and even with priority set to low, everything is basically unusable. even typing characters has lag... mouse sticks, switching focus on applications or windows takes a minute or two.. even the render window of the thing that is rendering freezes every few seconds and then the buckets jump to a new point when it finally updates.

im only using 30% of my ram.

ive no idea if this is due to a vray update or a windows update.

what gives? this is having a massively negative effect on my productivity.

windows 10, max 2021, vray 6 latest.
  • Answer selected by ^Lele^ at 21-11-2023, 04:37 AM.

and now it is official: https://forum.itoosoft.com/announcem...ilclone-6-1-4/

Comment

Can you check if this happens with the original V-Ray 6 release? We did some changes in the hotfixes because of complaints that only half the cores are used on Intel CPUs with both efficiency and performance cores and I'm wondering if it's related.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

HI ive now tried with original vray 6 and hotfix 2... same issue...

its driving me nuts.. i just tried doing an ipr render... it took me about 5 minutes to get enough control to actually close the window. dreadful mouse lag, unresponsive ui.. not exactly "interactive"

ive no idea what is causing it, my machine has always been a beast and never given issues.

Comment

Odd that you get this with the latest builds. I wonder if it is related to this:

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...ormance-issues

That caused all sorts of problems here, even on the latest hardware. The nightly (and eventually the hotfix) solved it here, though.

Comment

Just to confuse the issue, I am finding the move from max 2021-2023 incredibly slow. Having two or more max instances open is absolutely futile.
            James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Having same experience here.
              From day to day switched from latest version 5 to 6.0008, and immediately noticed general lag on the workstation.

Nothing really related to scene behaviour but in general open and switching between max instances was very laggy, while rendering i could switch almost at all between other apps etc.

I have quite loaded PC, with 256 gb memory.

We actually now likely have to revert back to version 5 as this is quite significant, and very much noticeable.

Is this common experience, or it might be some combination of installs ?

Thanks a lot.

Comment

What CPU are you guys using? Once we did the hotfix (and the nightly before that) we had no issues on new ThreadRipper Pro hardware Max 2021.

I wonder if it is some Intel E-core issue?
                Last edited by Joelaff; 05-10-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

5950X for me
                  James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                  Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

3970X with 256gb memory

I was checking on processors but didnt see anything weird.
                    Even memory wasnt spiking or anything like that.

Switched back to 5 and it for sure made a difference.

Comment

Very weird. So both AMD. Are you seeing this in max 2021 as well? We are still using that. Haven’t had any problems since before Hotfix2.

Is it slow only when rendering? IPR vs. production?

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                        HI ive now tried with original vray 6 and hotfix 2... same issue...

its driving me nuts.. i just tried doing an ipr render... it took me about 5 minutes to get enough control to actually close the window. dreadful mouse lag, unresponsive ui.. not exactly "interactive"

ive no idea what is causing it, my machine has always been a beast and never given issues.
                        Yeah I can only use IPR for VERY VERY basic scenes and even then it's quite slow changing anything. But that has always been the case. Also 3990x. Regular production renders are quite OK, though computer is a tad less responsive than it used to.
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Very weird. So both AMD. Are you seeing this in max 2021 as well? We are still using that. Haven’t had any problems since before Hotfix2.

Is it slow only when rendering? IPR vs. production?

Comment

I've also been putting up with my PC completely freezing when starting a render since moving to Max 2023 and V-ray6. Mouse barely functions in windows, even the initial buckets in the VFB just freeze until the render is done. 100% locked out from performing any task in Windows. Even Spotify will go silent as Firefox dies.

Currently on Max 2023.2.2 and V-ray 6.00.20 (Production: CPU rendering)
                            Also on a threadripper (3960x) here.

The PC was perfectly functional in max 2022 and vray 5 and I could get anything done while V-ray was rendering.
                            But this is an absolute productivity killer.

Comment

To add to my post, if I send a render via backburner then my PC is fine. I can turn off a few cores like usual and can happily keep working while it renders.
                              Its just when rendering from 3ds max itself my PC completely dies (even if I try to turn off half my cores)

Also to note that this also happens to 2 others in our studio as well. All threadrippers.
                              Last edited by Spatial; 09-10-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Hi,

We tried to reproduce the issue here using 3990x workstations, but no freezes as described. We will need to make a remote session, so we can further investigate this issue.
                                Is it possible for those of you who have this issue, please create a ticket in our support portal here. Please mention this thread, so we can organize a remote session.

Thanks!

Martin Minev | chaos.com
                                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                                X