Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

workstation unusable while rendering - was much better in the past.

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
    Yes!!!! It was that! Thanks!
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post

Yes!!!! It was that! Thanks!
      Did you manage to fix it with the steps we proposed in that thread? Because the issue is back here and I can't seem to fix it again.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

It's so haphazard: even in the AD thread there's everything and its contrary on display, and very little actual info (f.e. what are the scripts and plugins installed, which are being used while the slowdown happens, and so on.).
        We couldn't ever repro it on our side, who knows what combination of factors contribute to it (i have zero lag, and have deferred plugin loading active, along with a 15GB temp folder...).
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          It's so haphazard: even in the AD thread there's everything and its contrary on display, and very little actual info (f.e. what are the scripts and plugins installed, which are being used while the slowdown happens, and so on.).
          We couldn't ever repro it on our side, who knows what combination of factors contribute to it (i have zero lag, and have deferred plugin loading active, along with a 15GB temp folder...).
          Yeah I know, I should do some further testing, but that would be the same as starting from scratch = format c:/ > reinstall vanilla max > test > install plugin > test > install another plugin > test > etc etc... I don't have the time to troubleshoot this, this is a day or 2 work. And I can't afford this much "playtime".
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

Did you manage to fix it with the steps we proposed in that thread? Because the issue is back here and I can't seem to fix it again.
            Yeah, crap, it's back for some reason. For the last couple of weeks I only installed the new MS for vray 6. and the vray 6. itself. But yesterday when I turned off that "plug-in loading" everything went back to normal. I'l try restarting now too, and check if there's anything else suggested on that AD thread.
            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Could you chime in on the AD thread, and file a report to Autodesk, that might help narrow it down for them.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                Yeah I know, I should do some further testing, but that would be the same as starting from scratch = format c:/ > reinstall vanilla max > test > install plugin > test > install another plugin > test > etc etc... I don't have the time to troubleshoot this, this is a day or 2 work. And I can't afford this much "playtime".
                Our QA and devs also tried, and for more than a day or two, but couldn't repro it.
                V-Ray itself is highly unlikely, we don't do anything in the background.
                What's odd is that there is also zero info on what may be being abused (CPU core, GPU), and by what (is it, who knows, the Windows Desktop Windows Manager hogging resources? Is it the Windows AV scanning? Or is it the Max process itself?).​
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                  Our QA and devs also tried, and for more than a day or two, but couldn't repro it.
                  V-Ray itself is highly unlikely, we don't do anything in the background.
                  What's odd is that there is also zero info on what may be being abused (CPU core, GPU), and by what (is it, who knows, the Windows Desktop Windows Manager hogging resources? Is it the Windows AV scanning? Or is it the Max process itself?).​
                  Exactly, Changsoo Eun suggested using procmon when it happens but I can't figure this software out, I don't know what I'm looking for.
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I'm amazed it's not a more widely reported issue...
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Maybe it was a fluke yesterday because today everything's ok. Again, after I unchecked that Plug in loading thing the first time.
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Are you saying you checked plugin loading again to fix it?
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I recently noticed that having two instances of Max (2021) open at one, both with the VFB open seem to get very slow when using either VFB for ipr. ( Not both at once)

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                            I recently noticed that having two instances of Max (2021) open at one, both with the VFB open seem to get very slow when using either VFB for ipr. ( Not both at once)
                            What is actually being abused? CPU or GPU?
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Cpu, but I recently installed the nightly from Dec 3, and everything is soooo much faster interactivity-wise.

It also fixed a crashing was having with VRay VolumeGrid in IPR, which would crash when stopping IPR if it set the minimum visibility too low (like 0.0001 or zero).

Not sure what changed. Need to check the release notes. But so far very happy with the nightly update!

Comment

A few hours ago I reported that max is now behaving like it was previously with its sluggishness when two more max instances are open.
                                I have updated to max 2023.3 today.

However just now while rendering in one instance and with a second instance open, my workstation was almost completely at a stand-still. Took about 30 seconds for a right-click to register etc.
                                Max was not saving/opening/closing so that possibly rules out this being the issue referenced by the AD forum.

James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Working...
                                X