Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is depressing.

Comment

• V-Ray 5 for Revit beta is now open . . .

Comment

• Something tell me the most problem comes from Autodesk...

Comment

• I expect that during the next year there will be a huge transform from max to blender. Especially for product and archviz guys...
          there are such advanced addons today and the community driving the develpment is a blast
          also cycles getting better and faster and also RenderMan, octane and luxcore are in the game...
          Greets Phil
          -----------------------
          WS
          DUAL E5-2683 V3 28c/56t @2,6Ghz
          64GB Ram
          ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080ti
          PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM 780ti

Node
          I7 2600K @4,40GHZ,
          32GB RAM

Comment

• Originally posted by hubmer3 View Post
            I expect that during the next year there will be a huge transform from max to blender. Especially for product and archviz guys...
            I think you are right about this, there is already a bit of an exodus from the AD apps to Blender. For this reason I'm confused as to why CG is SO SLOW to adapt. It must be a resource issue - they are too thin to cater to all the apps - and Blender is at the bottom of the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daf57 View Post

I think you are right about this, there is already a bit of an exodus from the AD apps to Blender. For this reason I'm confused as to why CG is SO SLOW to adapt. It must be a resource issue - they are too thin to cater to all the apps - and Blender is at the bottom of the list.
              Or maybe opportunistic.

I've also seen statements on this forum that strongly indicate they are lying and playing the victim. I have hard times too, who cares right? How are those 4 months that seemed realistic going on? Or IPR promises?

I understand if the software is usable for people that are used to 2.79 but I never intended to use this version of Blender for professional purposes because the workflow is a waste of time and is way behind 2.9 in terms of features. Since I bought it I only got to test it a few times to get familiar with the integration.

I didn't buy the rental version and I think it should be taken down completely for people that don't know what they are getting into.

It's a shame that this comes from a company that I had so much respect for a few years back.

Comment

• I would also believe that Autodesk plays some kind of role why we don't have proper blender support at yet.

I was also thinking that maybe Chaosgroup dosen't want to support a product (Blender) that is free and open source. Because that way they would support something that may eventually take their jobs..

For example let's imagine that Chaosgroup makes stellar v-ray product for blender. More users starts to use blender and Blender product gets more money from donations. That money is used to improve blender render engine like eevee. Eventually blender has so good render engine that users are saying: we don't need v-ray anymore.

That could be a bit far stretched but may be true also
                Last edited by haikalle; 13-12-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Why not just use a different renderer ?

I recently learned that for a particular project I would be better off using Corona. So I purchased a monthly subscription and am loving it.

V-Ray is great but there are other options out there and it's not the only renderer on the planet. I suggest you stop relying on one renderer, maybe Eevee is the way to go and you won't have to pay or wait....
                  Jez

------------------------------------
                  3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                  Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                  ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

• Well, I really like v-ray renderer. And I used it a lot with Blender 2.79. I thought they were match made in heaven. I have tested many renderers and for me V-ray is the one that feels most natural to use.
                    Last edited by haikalle; 13-12-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                      Why not just use a different renderer ?

V-Ray is great but there are other options out there and it's not the only renderer on the planet. I suggest you stop relying on one renderer,
                      . . . and maybe we have already paid for V-Ray and would like to see Chaos Group follow through on the promises they made.

Comment

• Originally posted by oblomov View Post

. . . and maybe we have already paid for V-Ray and would like to see Chaos Group follow through on the promises they made.
                        You already paid for a vray version for blender?
                        Jez

------------------------------------
                        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

• I will upgrade to V-Ray 5 when V-Ray for Blender 2.8+ version is published
                          Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

You already paid for a vray version for blender?
                            Everyone using V-Ray with Blender has paid for it. Some of us have been paying for it for years.
                            Last edited by oblomov; 14-12-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Why not just use a different renderer ?
                              I can only speak for myself, I used it for product design and I'm familiar with it already. While Eevee/Cycles seem great for general use, I find it slow, noisy and hard to get realistic results for things like glass and such. I tried some other great 'unbiased' renderers for Blender such as Luxrender however they don't match Vray in terms of rendering for post processing workflows.

I don't understand why they don't come forward with a verdict on the situation. This has dragged on for a ridiculous amount of time while other 3d packages get constant updates.

Comment

• I empathise with everyone here, the IPR has been a long time coming. It's fair to say that Chaos Group are juggling many balls and keeping everyone's expectations grounded is difficult - in any type of development, optimistic ideas don't always translate to those expectations. And maybe perfection really is the enemy of the good. (Trust me when I say personally, that just having a release that works with 2.8+ would be ok for me for the moment.)

It's a given that the license issue with blender has complicated everything. I don't blame Chaos for being conservative in their interpretation of the licenses. As such writing a closely integrated plug in has become writing a plug in that has to jump through hoops. I expect other software houses (who are already releasing their plug ins) have larger legal assistance (+ development resources) and the peace of mind that they have complied as much as they need to for their own comfort.

The vray development seems to have started - stopped numerous times / developers come / developers go. Maybe the baseline of blender has changed in enough ways that going back a few steps on progress (to write virtually from scratch) is a requirement to write a robust plug in - one that can be supported and follow suit with feature parity with other vray platforms. Chaos have always released things when 'they' are happy they are ready. If anything the two trigger points have been silence and optimistic belief that something will be ready for release in the 'near' future. Maybe this could be played better...

Wishes and passion run high in this group. My guess is that the plans to release the plug in would have fallen way below what we all wished for - no fully working IPR. The feedback has almost certainly made Chaos wait on releasing until IPR IS present and working.

Reaching out to Chaos Group, I hope things are alright and giving a little bit of info on how progress is going would mean a lot.

Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                                X