No announcement yet.

Vray for Blender status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oof! Just reading the Modo news... https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...99#post1134599

Comment

Any development news about V-Ray for Blender ?
      Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Come on Chaos Group - just be a tiny bit transparent. Even if it is "we are still evaluating a new blender port because of x, y, z", or "we still have to finish this or that work before engaging with the subject" - but some kind of context to hope would be really appreciated.

Comment

I would encourage anyone caring for their own sanity to just move on... These people have no clear development plans for this product, they just work on it whenever they have a little bit of leftover time from working on other plugins. As literally years of "hope" passed by it just isn't worth it anymore.

There are viable solutions if you're not into Cycles X (which to be hones I'm pretty impressed with) even free ones like Octane. For me, even if vray does eventually come out, I don't think I'll be able to get used to hitting f12 every time I need to preview a slight light/shader adjustment. In its current state (2.79) it's not polished enough for professional use and it's price does not pertain to hobbyists taking into account that there are other free solutions available.

Again, remember, this "update" has been going on for years, don't want to invest in something and end up like modo users.
          Last edited by filip_postolache; 21-02-2022, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by filip_postolache View Post
            For me, even if vray does eventually come out, I don't think I'll be able to get used to hitting f12 every time I need to preview a slight light/shader adjustment. In its current state (2.79) it's not polished enough for professional use and it's price does not pertain to hobbyists taking into account that there are other free solutions available.
            The issue is not so much VRay itself - we have been using Cycles and there are some shortcommings, but overall I am really impressed. BUT there are so many high quality (especially furniture) assets without which it becomes really really tedious to do high quality archviz. Of course you can convert everything - but that is just not time and cost effective. And we have some assets now, especially exterior assets and vegetation is spectacular in blender, but really high quality furniture is really tough to find. VRay has a 15 year headstart and it is really really tough to compensate for that.
            This is less a specific "render engine" issue but an eco system issue. And also VRay is so polished and reliable, there are very few other engines that offer that kind of reliability and solidness.

The fact that a lot of render engines have recently come to Blender suggests that there is a real market out there. So I don't think the doom and gloom is really called for. But I really wish Chaosgroup would be communicating a bit(actually a lot) more transparently...

And the VRay Modo implementation was spectacular - I think probably the best one in all of the packages. Vladimir did an outstanding job.

Comment

Originally posted by EDELVIZ_ARCH View Post

The issue is not so much VRay itself - we have been using Cycles and there are some shortcommings, but overall I am really impressed. BUT there are so many high quality (especially furniture) assets without which it becomes really really tedious to do high quality archviz. Of course you can convert everything - but that is just not time and cost effective. And we have some assets now, especially exterior assets and vegetation is spectacular in blender, but really high quality furniture is really tough to find. VRay has a 15 year headstart and it is really really tough to compensate for that.
              This is less a specific "render engine" issue but an eco system issue. And also VRay is so polished and reliable, there are very few other engines that offer that kind of reliability and solidness.

The fact that a lot of render engines have recently come to Blender suggests that there is a real market out there. So I don't think the doom and gloom is really called for. But I really wish Chaosgroup would be communicating a bit(actually a lot) more transparently...
              Exactly, and I'm trying several renderengine finding the best to use with Blender but, at the moment, I can consider usable Cycles X or Luxrender, but it's really time consuming to manually convert materials for everything, and, at the end, I still consider Vray ahead in several aspect, that are not just renderspeed.
              Considering that , with Vray 5, you get also content of Cosmos , you can clearly understand what advantage we could have using Vray for Blender.

I still hope that something will be cleared as soon as possible... I think it's a bit a pity to lose the opportunity to work with Vray in Blender.

Comment

1. I can assure you that V-Ray for Blender is still on our plans.
                2. There are no timeframes, because we don't want to promise something we can't deliver. If you want/need to move to some other render engine in Blender, we will be the last guys trying to stop you.
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post
                  2. There are no timeframes, because we don't want to promise something we can't deliver. If you want/need to move to some other render engine in Blender, we will be the last guys trying to stop you.
                  1. I'm aware it's been on your plans since 2019 according to the lead developer.

2. "We consider we will need about 4 months to complete the whole integration unless unexpected things come out down the road. Please don't take those 4 months as a firm release date, it's a goal which seems realistic for us and we'll do our best to meet it." -- 2020, two years ago.

All I'm saying is that you are not treating vray for blender, and its users for that matter, with the same respect as other plugins, yet advertise the product as a professional tool. Of course I moved to other solutions since switching from one workflow to another (blender versions 2.7 -2.8 ) was counterproductive to say the least, especially with vray's cumbersome and even lacking in some cases texture/procedural/shader previews. I can understand some users depend on vray because they developed a pipeline and would be hard to reaccommodate, chaos should consider this too and reevaluate priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post
                    Thanks a lot for clarifying. I would have loved to get something more concrete, but just knowing that there is a commitment is very useful for me. In our studio we have started to add Blender as an additional package (to Modo) and are pretty happy with Cycles - but it just does not have the same polish (and as mentioned before, assets) as VRay. This feedback is helpful and I appreciate that this is a very fine line to walk (seeing some of the discontent comments here).

Originally posted by filip_postolache View Post
                    1. I'm aware it's been on your plans since 2019 according to the lead developer.
                    2. "We consider we will need about 4 months to complete the whole integration unless unexpected things come out down the road. Please don't take those 4 months as a firm release date, it's a goal which seems realistic for us and we'll do our best to meet it." -- 2020, two years ago.
                    All I'm saying is that you are not treating vray for blender, and its users for that matter, with the same respect as other plugins, yet advertise the product as a professional tool. Of course I moved to other solutions since switching from one workflow to another (blender versions 2.7 -2.8 ) was counterproductive to say the least, especially with vray's cumbersome and even lacking in some cases texture/procedural/shader previews. I can understand some users depend on vray because they developed a pipeline and would be hard to reaccommodate, chaos should consider this too and reevaluate priorities.
                    We has used VRay in Modo and have been part of Beta and have had it in production for many years. We have disagreed with some some of the decisions that CG has taken, and are obviously sad that VRay has been discontinued for Modo. But Chaos Group and Vladimir Nedev specifically have always been very honest and straightforward. I think it is a question of economic priorities - that is an important consideration and we don't have access to the spreadsheets...but I don't think it is helpful to assume that the delay of the Blender Plugin is an indication of a lack of respect of the Blender users/community.

Comment

EDELVIZ_ARCH When a company prioritizes profits over people's investments in their products I do see it as a lack of respect. If you see honesty in all of this then I don't have much to add except enjoy the wait.

Comment

Obligatory "Any news on the VRay for blender front?" :P
                        Cheers,
                        Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
                          Obligatory "Any news on the VRay for blender front?" :P
                          The forum is buzzing with activity, the tension is rising. I am sure a release is just DAYS away ...

Comment

The forum is buzzing with activity, the tension is rising. I am sure a release is just DAYS away ...
                            Any minute now!

But in all seriousness an official update would be nice.
                            Cheers,
                            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Counting down now. T-10 Days...

Comment

Counting down now. T-10 Days...
                                Really any day now?

Comment

Working...
                                X