No announcement yet.

Important V-Ray 1.5 announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I reckon it's more that they want to do things right rather than caring about finishing something. Splutterfish made the mistake of putting a definite release date on brazil 1.0 which they missed by quite a bit, they won't make that mistake again by not announcing a final date for brazil 2.0. Next limit shot themselves in the foot by releasing stuff that didn't work as rc and beta setups - they really didn't care about their users and released a so called 1.0 which most people seem to think still doesnt work and is far worse than the beta.

Chaos care more about their users than most companies I've dealt with. 1.47.03 is a really stable production worthy release (admittedly one or two quirks but minor ones) that I absolutely hammered rendering the milk ads in. It used every single feature that was in 1.47 (features like displacement and 3d motion blur that still aren't in brazil) and it did it without falling over. Recently I had an issue on a job where I needed a patch release for vray to render pflow ojects with 3d motion blur. I dropped Vlado a mail and he had a build to me the next day that solved that problem and got me through. I found one or two other bugs in it such as rendering refractive objects which you can see in my fog tutorial:

The black in the refractions is a bug in the release that I was using when I wrote that tutorial and I figured out that the problem wasn't in 1.47.03. Personally working refractions are far more commonly used by me than particles so I switched back to 1.47.03 as the standard build that our company uses. The irritating thing about doing this type of software is as you fix something you break something else so if you take my case vlado gave me a build where my particles worked fine but my refractions didn't - wouldnt it be a huge pain in the ass to try and remember which features you need to render a scene without error and have to sintall the vray beta build which corresponded with it? If Vlado kept releasing updated builds every month or two purely to keep us amused it'd mean loads of scene files floating around that could be broken in the very next build of vray that arrived which is a bad thing for the end user.

I saw a lot of this stuff using the beta of Arnold a few years back where the brightness of renders would change between builds, features would stop working and materials would look completely different. First of all it meant that if we needed to re visit an old scene it'd take us time to either reinstall the old plugins or figure out how to make renders in the new builds look like renders from the old builds and it was a huge pain in the arse from a production point of view. you know well enough if you have a deadline you want something that is as reliable as possible and at the moment Vlado believes that is 1.47.03 hence why it's still up on the download section. Admittedly there's a few nice bits and pieces in the newer builds that may save some time in the future but not at the expense of haveing predictable results imo.

I'm sure that Vlados as annoyed as anyone else about not having 1.5 out yet but I think he has the best interests of his customers in releasing somethign that meets his own standards rather than doing a next limit on it and going on holidays...

Comment

• What? You mean I sound pissed? Yes, this is the exact mood I am in.
      This kind of discontent looks very familiar. At the Next Limit forum there was a really dark period with no Maxwell updates, no news and no communication from the Next Limit people. This resulted in a whole lot of speculation, complaints and anger, until a new version of Maxwell satisfied everyone again.
      Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Comment

• @ joconnell
        At one point I agree with you. No one likes buggy software. It needs time to get a program rock solid.
        BUT:
        We don´t speak about 2 weeks or 2 month releases.
        And we don´t speak about a brand new software as 1.0 release.

We talk about more then 2 years without information about whats going on for existing Vray max users.

And we can talk about things that were possible in the meantime:
        Vray for maya...
        Vray for Rhino...
        Vray stand alone ...
        Vray 64bit
        Believe it or not, there is a Vray for Caligari Truespace!
        Whats next? Vray for Excel or Minesweeper?

Thats what is annoying me. I am pretty sure there are more than some users who think this way.

But what can we do? Sliming like "studioDIM" don´t bring us anything. Its better to remind the
        guys at chaosgroup that its time to remember who was the folk, which made Vray popular.
        Most of us Vray max user can tell about ringing the advertise bell to other max users to switch
        to Vray as the preferred renderer.

So Vlado, Peter, Chaosgroup, whats to expect and when?
        The next Siggraph announcement where we can read about the fantastic features in Vray 2.0,
        which will start as internal builds beta test right in the near future?

@ Metin_7
        This kind of discontent looks very familiar. At the Next Limit forum there was a really dark period with no Maxwell updates, no news and no communication from the Next Limit people. This resulted in a whole lot of speculation, complaints and anger, until a new version of Maxwell satisfied everyone again.
        I know, I know, but is that the way it has to go?

Comment

• Every time I see a post here, I think someone is going to announce a release so I get annoyed when I find out it's just people complaining. It's to the point which I think many of us wish this thread was locked.

Chaos is working very hard for a release - and if all these posts haven't taught you, bitching will not get you anywhere. Trust me - alot of us have bitched at one point or another. If the complaining gets to the infectious point which the Maxwell forum was at, then it could actually become counter-productive.

You are going to get one of the best releases of all time - so please have a little more patience. Chaos could've released a 1.5 over a year ago but it wouldn't have a fraction of all the upcoming features and bug fixes - or better yet they could have charged you/us for an upgrade - and would you rather have that?
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

• Yeah in short.. the Vray 1.5 that you will be getting soon will be LOTS better and a more feature packed Vray 1.5 than what you would have gotten ages ago.

They have been quiet about it to people dont burn them alive when they dont meet the deadline.

Its not that they are taking their sweetassed time... its all about IMPROVEMENTS... whinge all you want.. but in the end it will take as long as it takes. And in the end you get a far better piece of software for it.

As mentioned ALOT of times before... ALL the other Vray plugins (Maya, Rhino, XSI.. whatever) are all being work on by seperate teams. And they have in no way detracted from the work being done on the next release of Vray.

ALso there has been plenty of information about what has been going on with Vray, just not a release date.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLADE
              Sliming like "studioDIM" don´t bring us anything.
              Patience, brother.
              If you actually read the forums, instead of raving like you do, you'd know i had my time to get angry about 1.5.
              Came and went, i didn't insult anyone in the process, and nothing actually changed for me.
              No new build, and guess what, Vlado didn't lose sleep, nor his pace.

Sure, you're most welcome to have opinions that differ, but boy.
              Don't like the wait, go shell money for maxwell.
              Or for the new truespace with vray (oooh, maybe THAT IS 1.5).

Follow the forums, check the progresses, ask users which have a newer build that 47.03, and you'll realise we are not that far now, and the time spent is actually been put to good use.

Besides, ahould you have any issue with 47.03, you could mail vlado about it, and maybe get a newer build.

Ah, and studioDIM is not here. It's LELE, sliming.
              But your strenght doesn't seem to lie in reading stuff, that's granted.

Lele

Comment

• I agree with the positive thinkers: with the popularity of V-Ray compared to other plug-in renderers I can't imagine that Chaos Group is currently enjoying a longdrink in a hammock, causing them to go in the Maxwell direction regarding an unhealthy lack of correspondence with their users.

Anyway, one thing's for sure: we are all extremely eager to hear some exciting news about the final 1.5 release.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLADE
                  We don´t speak about 2 weeks or 2 month releases.
                  And we don´t speak about a brand new software as 1.0 release.

We talk about more then 2 years without information about whats going on for existing Vray max users.

And we can talk about things that were possible in the meantime:
                  Vray for maya...
                  Vray for Rhino...
                  Vray stand alone ...
                  Vray 64bit
                  Believe it or not, there is a Vray for Caligari Truespace!
                  Whats next? Vray for Excel or Minesweeper?
                  Yeah I know it'd be nice to have an idea whats going on behind the scenes - I'd love to see some kind of devlog so we know what the progress is and how things are going purely out of intyerest rather than needing to know about 1.5 - I'd say it's a bad idea to let the public know whats happening though because of some of the rather untruthful marketing departments the competitors have.

As far as I know too the development of vray for other programs doesn't put any kind of strain on vray for max - it's other companies that are porting it across and using the current build of vray, bugs and all.

Comment

• i've stopped being dissapointed about the missing release, now i really just dont care anymore..

i've come the the conclusion that missing 'features' and a half working DR is not really that important for me to have ( or chaosgroup to give a customer )

Sure the announcement before x-mas had my hopes up, and this is of course only nearly a half year ago.....nothing really to complain about ?

and surely its for my own best not to have the very buggy releases that competitors have, this actually just make me one step ahead ?

Comment

• I was very excited to see the news about features of 1.5 at Vray.info. It gave me the feeling that the final release was really coming closer. I still sometimes go to the page to drool about IBL, improved noise reduction in QMC, sun/sky system, a dirt/AO shader and a fast SSS shader.

Comment

• Two years are gone since this thread is made, I am not sure how old is 1.47.03. Maybe is not such a bad idea to pay for 1.5 upgrade. Maybe Chaos Group can get more people on the project and finish sooner. I am sure most of the guys are going to disagree with me, but like this, it can go easy for yet another year. Most of the people using Vray for professional purposes, and will help all of us, to have rendering engine better than we have, more features, quicker and easyer renderings. Maybee it is too late now, for such ideas.

Regards
                        Srdjan

Comment

• For me, its simple a question of priority. I don´t believe that:
                          ALL the other Vray plugins (Maya, Rhino, XSI.. whatever) are all being work on by seperate teams. And they have in no way detracted from the work being done on the next release of Vray.
                          They may have overloaded their targets and lost control over it. Things come out harder than they look at the first glance. Everyone knows situations like this from time to time with their own deadlines. But radio silence is not the way to go if you care about your costumers.

Comment

• Hmmm ... looking at the avatar of DaForce, he must either:

1: already have the latest V-Ray with sun system, or

2: be using Maxwell! The horror!

Let us hear your explanation DaForce. And don't tell us excuses about setting up a camera and filming from dusk till dawn!

Comment

• 1: already have the latest V-Ray with sun system
                              The Sun/Sky System was introduced way before the latest builds :P

Thorsten[/code]

Comment

• You mean the V-Ray sun and sky system as described here...?

http://vray.info/features/vray1.5_preview/

Comment

Working...
                                X