Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1billion
    great
    back to the 430 billion polys scenes from fR and brazil 2 years ago.

but not all have to render a forest of exactly same trees.

as some here wrote a few times, when doing really heavy arch stuff (for example) you have millions of polys and no use for instances.

Comment

• the link:

http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/sf_ge...olys&printer=1

but the same problem!
      what are instances worth when you have to render 8-9 million real polys?

this images are nice tech demos sure.

Comment

• 2.6 billion..

This image is from August 2002, so VRay has been able to do billions for a while.. I agree with Long John though, that instances have a limited usefulness.

It is possible to use the VRay proxy for large single objects as well, and this is where it is becomes useful.
        Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

• cool image egz... that machine had 512mb of memory?!!

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

• Yes, it was rendered on my laptop.

Comment

• Originally posted by egz
              Yes, it was rendered on my laptop.
              Nice PIII 933mzh with 512mb ram rendering that in 3h32m is impressive.

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

• What the progress of .EXE, does anybody know?

Comment

• Seems like i've possessed some kind of "invisible mode" on this board...no answers on private messages from Peter, no answers to the messages..."test....test...where am i?"

Comment

• I think I heard something... no, must have been the wind

Comment

• Originally posted by egz
                      2.6 billion..
                      funny.. and i´m banging my head to get this damn non instanced multi
                      MILLION poly scene rendered... pff

Comment

• 1billion
                        great
                        back to the 430 billion polys scenes from fR and brazil 2 years ago.

but not all have to render a forest of exactly same trees.

as some here wrote a few times, when doing really heavy arch stuff (for example) you have millions of polys and no use for instances.
                        Long-john... sorry about the Andy Rooney remark. I was not intending to say anything about him being a racist. I was simply (an jockingly) imagining you saying something like "Ever wonder why?..."

Anyway, back to my point. In Vray 1.45.70 they have removed instance rendering. They have replaced it with Dynamic Geometry This allows Vray to render literally unlimited (non-intanced) geometry through a dynamic caching method. If you know anything about Raytracing. That is AMAZING, since, by it's nature, all the geometry needs to be in memory at the same time. Vray has a unique caching technique that is far superior to any other out there.... for now. One other great feature about the new Dynamic Geometry is that you can even allocate an exact amount of ram that you wish it to have.

Comment

• Hi there,

I´m still on 1.09.
                          The scene I was refering to in the post above has about
                          4 million polys. I started with 1.09 and so i will not switch
                          to 1.45 at the moment.
                          So I can´t say to much. But when our first unhandled exception appeard
                          We installed 1.45 on a seperate machine to test it there.
                          We switched to "dynamic geometry" assigned a blank vray material
                          to the whole scene and hit render.
                          And we got the same "unhandled exception" as with 1.09.

As i said i just installed 1.45 for that one test. So far for my point of view
                          there is not much changed .I don´t care how geometry is handled
                          internal as long as I get a rendering without unhandled exceptions.

And I also hope that those "unhandled exceptions" are gone when using
                          the skin modifier !!

Comment

• ya I also apologize bringing up anything to do with andy rooney. it was a strange day, and damn it if you cant edit it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

• Hi there,

I´m still on 1.09.
                              The scene I was refering to in the post above has about
                              4 million polys. I started with 1.09 and so i will not switch
                              to 1.45 at the moment.
                              us too.
                              plus, the bug reports of 1.4x prevent us from using it.

but when this dynamic caching will help there is even more to be happy about when v1.5 is released.

Comment

• Is the .exe project dropped?

Chaosgroup said that the standalone would be updated during the coming weeks and months, but nothing is happening and they are announcing nothing regarding this. Is it dropped or what is happening?

Comment

Working...
                                X