No announcement yet.

Bump mapping makes objects look faceted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still not fixed with 3.30.05? I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the rest here with the newest update (3.30.05). Is the fix on the map for the next update and any estimates as to when it will be implemented? Some of the bump maps look just terrible now (see attached image) Can someone explain how to do that environment trick that Vlado mentioned? I tried to add the variable and it didn't seem to work. Maybe I'm not doing it right so step by step guide would be really helpful for noobs like me. We had to reverted back to 3.30.03 until this is fixed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.30.05_bump_bug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	860184
    Last edited by Alex_M; 19-03-2016, 07:10 PM.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

In order to set that environment variable please follow the steps:
      Right click on My PC/Computer then Properties > Advanced system settings
      I have a screenshot for the next steps:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-21 17_17_31}.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	860191
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks. I did exactly that but it didn't work. Did I have to restart my PC for the changes to take effect? I didn't so maybe there was the problem. :/ We're in the middle of a long animation at the moment so I'll try it out as soon as it is finished.
        Aleksandar Mitov
        www.renarvisuals.com
        office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
        AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
        64GB DDR5
        GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
          Thanks. I did exactly that but it didn't work. Did I have to restart my PC for the changes to take effect? I didn't so maybe there was the problem. :/ We're in the middle of a long animation at the moment so I'll try it out as soon as it is finished.
          Restart the 3d platform only.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

you'll probably need to do that for the whole farm tho

Comment

This should be better in the latest nightly builds and for the 3.40 SP in a few days.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                This should be better in the latest nightly builds and for the 3.40 SP in a few days.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                hi vlado,
                when can we expect 3.40 sp ? in this month? or more?
                Mohammadreza Mohseni

Website | Instagram | E-Mail | Art Station | Behance | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by mohammadreza_mohseni View Post
                  when can we expect 3.40 sp ? in this month? or more?
                  The plan seems to be for the beginning of June as we have some official holidays coming up at the end of May. But if you need this fix sooner, we can get you a build.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

looking forward to it
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      The plan seems to be for the beginning of June as we have some official holidays coming up at the end of May. But if you need this fix sooner, we can get you a build.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      thanks for quick anwser. I can wait, just asking.
                      Mohammadreza Mohseni

Website | Instagram | E-Mail | Art Station | Behance | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

Can I seomewhere see confirmed features/improvements listed for the new SP?
                        Software:
                        Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                        3ds Max 2016 SP4
                        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                        Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

A small partial list off the nightly builds looks something like this, but it doesn't show everything:

*) VRayDenoiser render element that allows to calculate a denoised version of the image, optionally the denoiser can run on GPU;
                          *) Somewhat faster rendering with brute force+light cache combination;
                          *) Faster rendering of 2D displacement on flat geometry; removed the "precision" parameter;
                          *) Further optimizations for rendering of proxies;
                          *) Better sampling for GGX/GTR BRDF type;
                          *) Changing the VFB region during interactive V-Ray RT render does not restart the whole image;
                          *) Show GPU usage statistics (GPU load and memory) for V-Ray RT GPU;
                          *) Reworked VRayLight user interface;
                          *) Support for procedural Noise and Mix textures for bump mapping in V-Ray RT GPU;
                          *) VRayStereoscopic helper supports vertical placement of the views in addition to side-by-side;
                          *) Lower tessellation rate for out-of-view hair and displaced/subdivided geometry to save RAM in heavy scenes; "static geometry" is enabled by default for displacement;
                          *) Stochastic flakes improvements, added colored flakes texture;
                          *) VRaySun and VRaySky - vertical offset setting for the skydome, control of the ground blending;
                          *) Enable high DPI support for the V-Ray frame buffer;
                          *) Enable GI by default;
                          *) The V-Ray scene converter converts rectangle/sphere/disc photometric lights without web profiles to the corresponding VRayLight's;
                          *) Moved VRayHDRI's Tiled textures options from the material editor's interface to the global switches rollout;
                          *) Support for MultiTile in V-Ray RT (3ds Max 2017);
                          *) Support for ColorMap in V-Ray RT (3ds Max 2017);
                          *) Add "layers" type to override material exclude list;
                          *) Show progress bar instead of "not responding" during export to .vrscene;
                          *) Added a refraction filter bake element;
                          *) Added another deep fragment merge mode, "None", where fragments are not merged at all;
                          *) When auto-saving images to the VFB only auto-save if the render completed normally (i.e. is not aborted);
                          *) Add an option to keep the VFB history folder relative to the current project path;
                          *) Improved slow rendering of objects visible behind multiple panes of glass;
                          *) V-Ray scene converter should convert the 3ds Max Normal Bump map to VRayNormalMap;
                          *) Warn the user if all the GPUs they have are used for RT GPU;
                          *) Enable support for processor groups by default (more than 64 cores);
                          *) Bring back the V-Ray exposure control;
                          *) Make the DR settings window with persistent size (keep size between 3ds Max sessions);
                          *) Add information about the current noise threshold to the VFB statistics for V-Ray RT;

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Last edited by vlado; 17-05-2016, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Looks promising
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Wow, looking forward to it, really nice improvements!
                              Software:
                              Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                              3ds Max 2016 SP4
                              V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                              Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                              64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Superb as always! Vlado, just a quick question in case to have the information to hand - know the GPU team have been working really hard on the bump and procedural side. Have there been any improvements in matching the beauty pass between Adv and RT GPU (cuda) for bump/normals for Max? And is Stochastic implemented on GPU on the update?

Many thanks as always Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X