3dsmax 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
    Talking about Miscrosoft, you have to consider Linux too. When my pipeline will be entirely on Blender and Houdini. I will install Linux everywhere. I just hope Zbrush 5 will work in Linux so everything will work! BTW most 3D app are faster in Linux. Most of time render is 10% faster.
    Actually, according to the Lionrender guys, Blender GPU renders on Linux are 2x-3x faster than in Blender win10.
    Here's their bench test - https://lionrender.com/2016/06/16/to...-and-gtx980ti/

I've been using 3dsmax since the DOS days when it was called 3dstudio. But Autodesk's increasing balogne with each "upgrade", forced me to try Blender. It loads fast, workflow is so much faster and practically no bugs whatsoever, especially compared with max. Oh, and it's also free, with integrated gpu and cpu which can be toggled with all features supported. Integrated node-base compositor and materials, sculpting, painting and a host of other things.

The only thing 3dsmax is better at is in the layering and referencing, and not by much. Also, no forest-pro. And unfortunately, for interiors I have to stick with octane render/3dsmax because its faster and less noisy than in blender. But perhaps in Linux it can catch up.

If you can get around the learning curve, Blender is unbeliavable.

Off course, vray is awesome too, but I haven't tried it in Blender.

Comment

• Originally posted by retardus View Post
      Actually, according to the Lionrender guys, Blender GPU renders on Linux are 2x-3x faster than in Blender win10.
      Here's their bench test - https://lionrender.com/2016/06/16/to...-and-gtx980ti/

... It loads fast...
      Yes I saw a similar test on a French website but i was wondering if it can be corrected in a driver update for windows. but so far nothing.

And yes the speed at which Blender open is incredible. You just press the button and paf it's there instantly! Sometimes when I wait for max to load with all the plugins, I fire Blender and play with it until max is ready.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
      Little Antman
      See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
      Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

And yes the speed at which Blender open is incredible. You just press the button and paf it's there instantly! Sometimes when I wait for max to load with all the plugins, I fire Blender and play with it until max is ready.
        Now that's a great idea to wisely use time. I guess I can get about 4 hours worth of Blender a week doing that! :P

Comment

• These comparisons struck me like a lightning. Why is rendering on Linux so much faster than Windows? GPU drivers are better? Shouldn't drivers for Windows be more optimized/developed because Windows is far more used OS? Is CPU rendering also that much faster on Linux?
          Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• We can'y really confirm those findings; both CPU and GPU performances between Windows and Linux are very similar.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• It's very interesting !
              I posted this a few month ago http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...(Ubuntu-16-04)
              I just let it rest and I understand what Vlado say (of course !)

But how can we explain that ?
              Could we have inquiries about this?
              I hate w10 (!)... now I hate more and more
              (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

• What about windows 7? I see the tests are done compared to Windows 10. Can the problem actually be with Win10 itself and not so much that Linux is faster?
                Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                  Capitalism at its best. They can charge whatever they want. Buy all the others up, put them out of business, and hike up your price. The board of directors are laughing all the way to the bank.
                  I hope Autodesk doesn't buy Blender so they can mangle it with their "development" "skills" and "awesome" gui "ideas".

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                    What about windows 7? I see the tests are done compared to Windows 10. Can the problem actually be with Win10 itself and not so much that Linux is faster?
                    Some link I posted specified win7 and it was still slower than linux. Though windows 10 seems even slower.

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by bardo View Post
                      About plugins and Blender there is a discussion here.

Speaking about huge files Blender has an Xrefs system...you have simply to choose "link" instead of "append" and you could import models from another scenes with linking for materials,meshes, objects and so on.
                      Consider also that you can use VrayProxy if you are used to.
                      What I really like in blender is that you can easily copy (append) not only objects from other scenes, but also you can easily single out specific materials. In max it's crazy - you have the import the max scene in the material editor, but it loads hoards of materials from the entire scene, which makes it difficult to find the specific one you are looking for.

Comment

What I really like in blender is that you can easily copy (append) not only objects from other scenes, but also you can easily single out specific materials. In max it's crazy - you have the import the max scene in the material editor, but it loads hoards of materials from the entire scene, which makes it difficult to find the specific one you are looking for.
                        Good to know! In max you can merge a single object from another scene and you get only that object's material no? You can also use the material library.

Little Antman

Comment

Blender is developed intelligently, which is not the case for 3ds max !
                          More seriously, what I see in Blender is that it is a global consistency ...

Everything seems more logical !
                          (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

• In terms of CPU rendering, keep in mind that the speed depends a lot on the compiler that is used. On Windows, people typically use the Microsoft compiler, whereas Linux uses gcc. There are often 10-15% performance differences between the compilers, and often even between different versions of the same compiler. So when people compare CPU rendering on Windows vs Linux, they are also comparing different code.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Good to know! In max you can merge a single object from another scene and you get only that object's material no? You can also use the material library.
                              Yes, I use the workflow you mention in max, but it involves extra steps and still difficult to find a specific material.

When you click on a .blend file to append or link it, it opens up 'item' sub-directories, like materials, objects, groups, particles, which then allows you to navigate to and import any one of those. The only downside is that if you want to link/append the whole .blend scene, you will need open that scene and create a group of all the objects/mesh/particles you want to import, save it, then import the group.

Comment

Working...
                              X