This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by second-ich View Post
    Simplify ACES workflow. I need to specify the path for the OCIO file for every new scene and select ACEScg.
    It should only be necessary to specify the OCIO path once and since Vray supports only ACEScg it should be selected automatically.
    For now, you can use the two lines below to enable OCIO and point it to a config.
    vfbcontrol #OCIO true
    vfbControl #loadocio "C:/config.ocio"
    You'll find a lot more info about automating color management (f.e. choosing color space and view transform) here.

Alternatively, you can make use of environment variables, as shown here.
    Last edited by ^Lele^; 23-11-2021, 08:01 AM.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• 3d texture sampling for volumetric materials. it makes zero sense to have a volumetric material, but procedural/3d textures only affect the surface. with scattervolume for example, the surface is actually irrelevant. this is an issue for fastsss2, scattervolume and vraymtl sss features.

i want to use distancetex/noise to control density/colour inside a volumetric material!

the only current solution is to use ENV fog, this samples 3d textures correctly, but is dog slow and very limited for materials. .

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
        For now, you can use the two lines below to enable OCIO and point it to a config.
        vfbcontrol #OCIO true
        vfbControl #loadocio "C:/config.ocio"
        not really simplifying it is it
        e: info@adriandenne.com
        w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

• Originally posted by francomanko View Post
          what a mess.

For now,
          it is as outlined.
          I wonder what's messy of scripting access, or setting environment variables, by the way.
          Both are staples of any renderer, and pipeline, out there.
          Last edited by ^Lele^; 25-11-2021, 04:07 PM.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• I wonder why you would wonder why an artist wouldnt want to have to wonder about what scripts and env variables were needed.

Comment

• Because you can't do without them.
              The flexibility afforded by a system variable, or a procedurally set value are not always implementable in UI.
              Literally every 3d application out there has system variables set, i fail to see why an artist has to have issues learning to set four.

How else would you see the pointing of render slaves to a single OCIO file? Saved in the max file? In the max Session? With the Max install, and an INI file?
              Any of those will lead to endless potential, and potentially terminal, issues, entirely sidestepped by running a single batch file with four lines in it.

Not only that, but a sysvar can be very easily read by any other application, for example a sequence player, so that things should match.

I don't get the negativity, at all.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

• sorry I originally wrote 'what a mess' because ive spent the whole morning wrestling with aces implementation, you caught it just before I toned it down, so apologies.

Comment

• a bit of polish and new features for vraytoon? its very useful but has remained unchanged since its introduction. im using it on a current project , one feature which would be useful is "outline per element" at the moment we have the "hide inner edges" checkbox, which controls wether its just a border around the object, or controlled by normals etc..

an example: i have a cruise ship, its 6000 objects. i have "hide inner edges" ticked so i get a nice clean outline round each object. however with 6000 independent meshes, its pretty awful to work with. if i collapse to a single mesh, its 10x better, but then i lose the borders round all the individual parts. i could untick " hide inner edges" but then i get tons of unwelcome lines all over the place.

Comment

• And having it punching holes in your render elements ain't that great!

Comment

• Freehand paint, lasso and bitmap matte types in the VFB.

I know the VFB is not intended to replace programs like Nuke/Fusion/AE, but this would be very handy for quick fixes on still frames, before moving to Photoshop.
                      Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
                      Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• ACEScg Workflow

when enabling Auto RGB primaries for VRayBitmap vray detects the renamed maps with _srgb, _lin_srgb ... etc

now if I have existing scene with 100s of maps that also may be reused in deferent shaders this would be a nightmare.

the Idea is to move the maps into folders with the spicific folder name like _srgb, _lin_srgb ... etc
                        and VRay detects the folder name?
                        this will make it super fast to just point the correct file path in the 3dsmax assent tracker.
                        Last edited by wessam; 29-11-2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wessam View Post
                          ACEScg Workflow

when enabling Auto RGB primaries for VRayBitmap vray detects the renamed maps with _srgb, _lin_srgb ... etc

now if I have existing scene with 100s of maps that also may be reused in deferent shaders this would be a nightmare.

the Idea is to move the maps into folders with the spicific folder name like _srgb, _lin_srgb ... etc
                          and VRay detects the folder name?
                          this will make it super fast to just point the correct file path in the 3dsmax assent tracker.
                          This sadly wouldn't work, there are many a situation when the path is not at all present in the bitmap (f.e. relative paths, user folders), and the process would fail.
                          You could use a bulk renaming software for the maps, and manually duplicate the few that may be used in different places.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                            This sadly wouldn't work, there are many a situation when the path is not at all present in the bitmap (f.e. relative paths, user folders), and the process would fail.
                            You could use a bulk renaming software for the maps, and manually duplicate the few that may be used in different places.
                            Yes you are right, actually the real effort is in re-linking the renamed maps not the renaming maybe do this with a script.

thanks,

Comment

• I would still like, Pannini / Vedutismo camera projection. I remember asking for it a few years back, and still have a good use for it, as well as other people. There's a few threads on the forum about it. I remember that we didn't see it coming to fruition because the VrayCamera was removed, but in the mean time the Camera is back so might be cool to add this feature.

Unreal Engine, has this feature: Panini Projection | Unreal Engine Documentation
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

• Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                                I would still like, Pannini / Vedutismo camera projection. I remember asking for it a few years back, and still have a good use for it, as well as other people. There's a few threads on the forum about it. I remember that we didn't see it coming to fruition because the VrayCamera was removed, but in the mean time the Camera is back so might be cool to add this feature.

Unreal Engine, has this feature: Panini Projection | Unreal Engine Documentation
                                VRay GPU recently got texture distortion in camera finally so I think this one should be consider as half way there.
                                Marcin Piotrowski
                                youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X