Important V-Ray 1.5 announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the update?

Well is has been 4 months since the original supposed shipping date, Siggraph is gone without announcment (at least I did not noticed), so I am curious where we are standing. I mean it was supposed to take couple weeks back then .
    What I am severely missing is two things:
    Some sort of PDF manual ( I gave up on printed long time ago). I can print myself I give it to the guys I am working with aget them up to speed in relatively quick time. The original couple pages shown about year ago looked great with examples etc. I just would liek to see it completed. And if wishes were fishes a set of predefined and documented material shaders which can be set relatively painlesly by not so experinced guy (say architectual glass, some metals, porcelain etc.) similar to fR shaders.
    As was mentioned , Vray is great for network licensing but that cost advantage is quickly eliminated when I have to spend my time babysit people to deal with undocumented software.
    So quick fix: can someone in Chaos convertr the 1.5 version from Html on web site to PDF?

Comment

• when I talked to peter at siggraph he said they were planning on releasing 1.5 a month after siggy....so we'll see. I'm sure they are and have been working pretty hard on it.

right now 1.45 is fine for production.....and 1.09 is one click away...just in case

paul.

Comment

• and yeah..i could use a PDF of the latest help files as well as some premade communly used mats......

paul.

Comment

• Re: So what's the update?

Originally posted by radimek
          Well is has been 4 months since the original supposed shipping date, Siggraph is gone without announcment (at least I did not noticed), so I am curious where we are standing. I mean it was supposed to take couple weeks back then .
          yeah it strange isn´t it.

all betatester told it will be a matter of weeks to fix the latest bugs and v1.5 is very close to release.

but then they are all wrong, for every release date they ever made.
          so don´t expect that this will change.

have patience, wait and lets hope that at least v1.5 will be bugfree.

Comment

• Originally posted by cocolas
            when I talked to peter at siggraph he said they were planning on releasing 1.5 a month after siggy....so we'll see. I'm sure they are and have been working pretty hard on it.
            that would be next week?!

Comment

• I will bet against you! Whats the wager?

I bet it will be released soon after sigraph.

travis
              ok now that 4 weeks are over, what is your definition of "soon"?

Comment

• I was told at SIGGRAPH that the only thing left to get into 1.5 was DR. If this is the case, I vote for releasing 1.49.95 and just using the built-in split scanline feature in backburner. We have network rendered (6 machines) using split scanline (with vray) as large as 15,000 x15,000 pixel images with 8-12 xref'd scenes with no problems.
                Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
                Director

Chaos Group

Comment

• Originally posted by corey
                  If this is the case, I vote for releasing 1.49.95 and just using the built-in split scanline feature in backburner.
                  yeah, I'd like to have of the updated features as well...even w/out DR...

paul.

Comment

• ok now that 4 weeks are over, what is your definition of "soon"?
                    Oh, I guess it depends on your definition of "patience".

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

• hahhahaha....good one Nenad

paul.

Comment

• Its past soon. I was wrong. I have been very patient, but this is taking a bit long now. Hopefully it will be any time now.

Travis

Comment

• Documentation

Sorry I did not mean to start barrage of teh same comments this thread is full of. Currently what I woudl really need is documentation I can give to the guys working with me to be able to self-study. Reading forum is grat and such, just no too efficient. I am sure there si a word version of that file somewhere, can someone just print it into PDF and post?
                          As far as realesing secrets before the verison is out, I guess that there were anoouncements at Siggraphs for it.
                          So as you see I am not even asking for version 1.5 or 1.49.9999. actually I have noticed new feature from Natty's post vray toon, which is nice start as I was experimention with final toon, but IMHO, that could wait for version 1.6 as it does not seem polished enough. I would put my vote for more predictable, even less frequent updates if it meant clarity and documentation for every new feature, sort of like code updates here in the US (architects know what I am talking about). They come out quarterly, with exactly documented changes and pages to be replaced and if the changes cannot be made, then well then you will now they will come next quarter. This way it can alos set Chaos's business model - when you buy Vray, you get 4, 6, 8, 24 updates for free, next one you pay upgrade. Clear and simple.

Comment

• I converted the Website help to a pdf. Its not the prettiest conversion, I didnt want to spend too much time doing it. But it will give you guys an offline version to look at, and print if you need. The only problem is that its big, and I cannot host it.

Also, for Chaos's information, some of the webpage links are pointing to files that are using lowecase file names, but the link has uppercase in it.

Alot of those links are on the "Features" page

If anyone has a place with alot of bandwidth and can host this pdf please let me know.

(its Reader 5.0, and its 10mb)

Travis

Comment

• Just to clarify... you guys to realize that you are getting a HUGE upgrade for free, right? There are more features and upgrades between vray 1.09 to 1.5 then you would get if you went from MAX 5 to MAX 7 (relatively speaking). They may be treating it like a "bugfix" in the sense that it is a "." release that is free, but with all these features, it is WAY more than that. You guys are aware of that, right? You aware also aware that 1.09 is still today the fastest raytracer on the market right? And that besides the fact that DR is not functioning in MAX 6, it si pretty bug free, espcecially for a rendering engines, right?

Just want to make sure, because personally, it all sounds like spoiled children that are crying because they don't have their free gift.

Comment

• I am aware of that, and most people are aware of that. I think the main concern is that when a lot of people purchased the software they were promised a 1.1 update. This was supposed to add in a few things and fix a few things. But instead of a 1.1 update, chaos added more features, and fixed a lot of the problems and called it 1.5 (which should probably be 2.0). I think this is the reason that some people are upset. They wanted the 1.1, and never got it. Chaos skipped the 1.1 which should have been released a long time ago, and started working on 1.5. I'm sure they have good reasons for this, but its the point that some people wanted the 1.1 and never got it, and now they have to wait an extra 8 months to get the latest update.

You cannot please everyone. some people would want short release times, with less features added each time but very stable, others like short release times, more features, not as stable. Then again some people just want stable!

The biggest problem I think a lot of people have, without a doubt is that DR was supported, then max released 6.0 and vray's code needed to change. IMO this should have been #1 priority. If you are going to release the plug-in for a newer version of max, first it should do 100% of the things that it was able to do in the last version of max. They should have put off all development of 1.5, and fixed the dr problem. (I don't use dr, but I understand). It was almost a downgrade when max 6 was released. This made things worse.

I'm rambling.

I love vray, I have very little issues with 1.45, but like I said you cannot please everyone.

Travis

Comment

Working...
                                X