No announcement yet.

Announcing the V-Ray.exe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on the sdk (if there will be one), it won't necesserily have to be our bulgarian friends that program the bridges to our favourite apps. So the whole "me first" thing might be futile
    Well, that was my question but it has not been answered. Perhaps it is one of those issues that they do not wish to discuss. I would prefer that they just tell me they aren't ready to discuss it rather than ignore me. Then again, I'm new here and don't know all the in's and out's of procedure on this forum.
    Surreal Structures
    http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

maybe they are just busy Frances.

siggraph is not far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John
        maybe they are just busy Frances.

siggraph is not far away.
        But not too busy to respond to people who they considered to be misleading others.
        Surreal Structures

Comment

Hi Fran,

"Will it eventually be possible for someone like me to code their own interface to VRay.exe from Rhino or another modeler (such as FormZ)? I did this for another renderer using the Rhino SDK."

I would bet money that the answer is yes. In fact I think I've read that this is true in a thread about the standalone version in the past. If you have time, do a search for Standalone and you should get information that dates back quite a ways.

I would imagine that they are more concerned with diverting misinformation rather than giving out every last detail of a constantly evolving application. If you think about it there are many people who will hit this forum after learning of VRay from Siggraph so once one question is answered everyone else will feel that Chaos owes them an answer also and it could go on forever. It would be easiest for Peter to post all the information when he's ready.

--Jon

Comment

well peter made clear that it's not going to be a dumb bridge where everything is described in a flat file but rather some kind of smart communication, to avoid the ugly limitations of other standalone renderers.
            splutterfish seem to be doing exactly the same thing with brazil 2.0.
            looks like a new trend.

2.0 isn't just a standalone version. 2.0 is really a rendering API. The max version, the rhino version, and anything else ( ) will be built upon that.
            The API is the Brazil Application Programming Interface (or SDK - software development kit). In 1.0, there's a Brazil Utility, BrazilCore.dlu, that contains the core rendering engine. That core component defines the interface (part of our API) between core and the other components. In Brazil 2, that engine doesn't care about what application it works with (standalone, max, etc.). 1.0 is a bit max-specific.

A "bridge" or "Connection" usually implies a standalone rendering application that requires an intermediary file format (the *.mi files for mentalray, *.ribs for renderman, etc.). A developer writes a bridge that tells the program, max for example, to write out the intermediary file, then runs the 3rd party renderer as a slave process. The bridge manages the process and does the best it can to present the process as seemlessly as possible.

There are a lot of problems inherent in the bridge model and this is not the approach the Rhino product is taking - they are developing a tightly bound, integrated plugin, that uses the Brazil API directly, like it does in max.
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

anyway its nice to read the happenings around my beloved modeler

Comment

Hi Fran,

"Will it eventually be possible for someone like me to code their own interface to VRay.exe from Rhino or another modeler (such as FormZ)? I did this for another renderer using the Rhino SDK."

I would bet money that the answer is yes. In fact I think I've read that this is true in a thread about the standalone version in the past. If you have time, do a search for Standalone and you should get information that dates back quite a ways.
                I think I found the answer here:

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ght=standalone
                Surreal Structures

Comment

There it is

--Jon

Comment

Hi,

In order to use vray.exe with another modeling program, the '.vrmesh' file format is needed. where can I find this, even a temporary one ?

craouette

Comment

• so far only max and maya have the capacity of outputting the vrmesh objects

---------------------------------------------------
                      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

• There is no '.vrmesh' file format available ?
                        that's a pitty!!!

Comment

• Soooooo.....any news? Maybe 0.02 version?

Comment

• Not really. We are far beyond 0.02. rather close to 0.9 We did promise we'll have it really up and running in no time.

Moreover, we got our own shading script engine - a translator and compiler - its up and running. All we need to do is attach it to the v-ray core. Its very very very fast and I hope people will make good use of it.
                            Peter
                            ...keep walking...

Comment

• Keep it open for testing/use, im sure people here will make great use of it, even if its very limited still.

I can wait to see it.

Travis

Comment

• nice work so far peter. cant wait to see the new stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
                                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X